Garden decking is very popular and look gorgeous in any garden. It provides a flexible addition to your home and now that the Summer has arrived it will get lots of use. As with most things it requires a little maintenance. You want your decking looking as good as new so follow these maintenance tips below for a long-standing beautiful deck:
· Give the whole area a good sweeping with a hard broom and give it a hose down.
· Remove any debris that may have accumulated between the boards using a putty knife.
· Use a decking cleaner to remove any moss, algae or dirt from the decking. You should aim to do this twice a year. Ideally once in the spring and once in the autumn.
· Do not use any chlorine based bleach for cleaning as although it will clean the deck it will break down the lignin in the deck timber which holds the wood together.
· A jet washer can be used to clean the deck but do not use a heavy duty one. It needs to be smaller than 1500psi. Allow the deck to dry for several days before applying any type of finish.
· Soda crystals can be used to remove some stains. Water the deck, sprinkle the crystals, and allow to dry before washing away.
· After thoroughly cleaning add a decking oil. Even though your deck has been pressure treated in the manufacturing stage it will need to be maintained. Apply the oil with a brush and add two coats.
· If you find that your wood is starting to look tired and grey give it an oiling.
· Remember never to drag heavy objects over the surface of a deck to avoid damaging the wood.
· Move planters, chairs and tables around to avoid the sun discolouring the decking. Maybe treat yourself to some new cushions or tableware to freshen up your look.
· Trim nearby bushes and trees that may be overhanging.
· On an ongoing basis don’t let leaves and debris pile up in corners and keep nearby gutters and downspouts in good repair.
Now you are ready to put your feet up enjoy entertaining in your garden!